ACEC/CT Engineering Excellence Awards program offers firms an opportunity to earn national recognition and showcase their talent and expertise.
The public relations and marketing value of participation in these competitions is considerable. Individual press releases are issued for each winner and national winners receive considerable media attention nationwide. Display boards of all entries at the state level will be displayed at the ACEC/CT office and at ACEC/CT meetings. Photos of entries will be displayed on the ACEC/CT web site (www.ctengineers.org).
The competition is open to any firm or individual engaged in the practice of consulting engineering in Connecticut, whether or not the firm or individual is an ACEC/CT member. Eligible projects (a) must have been built in Connecticut, or (b) the majority of the design work must have been performed in Connecticut, although the project may have been built anywhere.
Constructed projects must have been substantially completed and ready for use between November 1, 2014 and October 31, 2016. Studies must have been publicly disclosed by the client between November 1, 2014 and October 31, 2016.
There is a $400 entry fee for ACEC/CT members entering the state competition; entries from nonmember firms are charged a $800 entry fee. ACEC members who go on to the national competition will pay $1,100, nonmembers will pay $3,500.
How to Enter
Your entry must be submitted to ACEC/CT by November 1, 2016 via email, FTP or Dropbox. Do not submit hard copies. Note: the panel and notebook requirements detailed in the national ACEC application are not required for the ACEC/CT competition. Entries must include the following:
- A completed ACEC/CT Entry Form.
- The ACEC/CT entry fee.
- A two-page written synopsis in MS Word format describing the project, your firm’s role, the role of other consultants participating in the project, your firm’s contribution to the project and how your firm’s contribution meets the judging criteria.
- At least three pictures or graphics of the project in electronic format such as a TIFF or JPEG. (Embedded photos in Word or PDF documents are not acceptable.)
- Each participating firm must submit an endorsement/release letter or email from the owner granting permission to enter the project in the ACEC/CT Engineering Excellence Awards Competition.
- Each participating firm must submit a Microsoft Excel file listing the key participants in the project. Key participants include owners, design team, contractors, construction managers, and major subcontractors. Information for each key participant should include: organization name, contact person, mailing address, email and phone number.
Entrants are strongly encouraged to participate in a webinar briefing on submission requirements and how projects are judged to be held at 4:30 PM, Monday, November 14, 2016.
An oral presentation of not more than fifteen minutes will be made to the judges’ panel by each participating firm on December 5, 2016. Along with the oral presentation, firms may use a PowerPoint presentation, display boards, slides, videos or photos.
The winning firms will be honored at the ACEC/CT Engineering Excellence Awards Dinner to be held in January, 2017. Winning firms will also be eligible to enter the ACEC National Competition and must submit their entry by January 6, 2017.
How Projects are Judged
Projects will be judged by the following factors: Meeting or exceeding the client’s needs (40%), Social, economic or sustainable design considerations (25%), Originality (25%) and Complexity (10%).
- Submit Entry form – November 1, 2016
- EEA Submitters Webinar – November 14, 2016
- Oral Presentations – December 5, 2016
- Deadline to ACEC -January 6, 2017
- ACEC/CT Engineering Excellence Awards Dinner-January, 2017
- ACEC Judging – February 10-12, 2017
- ACEC Awards Gala, Washington, DC – April 25, 2017
We recommend that participants begin selecting their entries as soon as possible. ACEC/CT Executive Director, Paul Brady, will be happy to answer questions about submitting your firm’s entry.
Download an ACEC/CT Call for Entries and Application.